Monday, November 5, 2012

Resurrection Cast S02/Ep 6&7 Home Parts 1 &2




It's a double header on the Resurrection Cast as we are joined by guest Nugget Conan to discuss Home parts 1 and 2.  Nugget speculation abounds with theories flying left and right. We discuss cylon trust issues, Zarak's shady friends, inept CAG's, awkward moments, tombs, 6's ponytail, lower demons and we meet Petes new cat. 

Download Episode



Feedback from Kelsey and Amberlee for Home 1&2

Can I first just say: WHAT THE FRACK, LEE? Seriously? A kiss? What a putz!

Oh - Hi guys! Miss you!

So - I find it adorable that Baby-Boomer is in Pythia :) And I think she's a total bad ass when she proves to Lee that she won't kill him in Part One. Squee! (Why are they making her a red-shirt so literally? Anyone expect her to be dead by the end of the episode? Visually, it is stunning - the gorgeous greens of Kobol with the greys of the humans and then Sharon in bright, bright red! It's just pretty. This episode/series is so pretty.)

I feel like Lee broke the rules. That Kara and Lee were in this weird awkward-lusty-siblings place and he took it to a bad place. Also - I'm on Sam's team. Straight up. And perfectly comfortable saying it. I'll make t-shirts. We'll confuse the hell out of the Twi-moms and start a new fad. Team Sam vs. Team Lee - where do you side?

OMG DEE IS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER EVER! I LOVE IT WHEN SHE IS THE INTERNAL MONOLOGUE OF ADAMA! SHE'S A FRACKING ROCKSTAR! I literally get weepy! I just love her! The most. Dee for fracking president."We're putting our family back together" and Dee's little face! Holy holy.

Can we talk about how Adama is referring to Roslin as "believing" and how they need to work forward with that in mind? Such an echo of Roslin referring to Baby-Boomer's belief in her love. I love that parallel! It's so clever. And so familiar - Adama has said the same thing before about the Cylons - that being in love is thinking that you are in love; that having faith is thinking that you have faith - everything is in one's own mind. It's all over the place, everyone is dealing with the belief of someone else - having to take that belief seriously and work according to the rules of that belief... I find it so fascinating. Because it is complex. We aren't dealing with facts - or even with who knows what information - we're dealing with the minds/opinions/beliefs of people. Which! IS COOL!

"We know more about your religion than you do." You TELL 'EM, girl!

"There is no chip" <- Melanie did you lose your mind?

"Topography's for pansies, anyway" CHIEF WINS!

Baby-Boomer and Helo for Couple of the Fracking Year! AREN'T THEY JUST THE CUTE?!?!?!
Also - their conversations about memories and things - Helo just takes it in stride. Boyfriend of the year. (I take it back - every conversation that they have is incredible!)
 Also! BROWNIE POINTS to frackin' Kara for standing up for them - "He loves her" - you tell 'em! 

Home, for me, seems to be a lot of the Female characters standing up and pushing buttons -> Dee, Kara, Baby-Boomer, Six, Roslin... HUGS ALL AROUND!

PARENT CHILD REUINIONS!!!! Okay - so who do you think won in terms of emotional depth? Roslin/Billy or Adama/Kara? My vote is always for Adama/Kara to win ALL THE THINGS! 

Who else caught that Gaius flipped Doctor-Awesome off?

Oh!!!!!!!!! Helo's face when Chief walks up!!!! POOR HELO! JUST!!!! MEN AND THEIR FACES!

I really love the shot of Roslin and Adama talking and between them - in the background - is Baby-Boomer and Helo talking. I don't know why I love it so much, it's just PRETTY. And then how Roslin peeks over at the kids talking! SUCH GOOD PARENTS! (I'm so on mommy/Starbuck's team, though)

AND THEN! In the midst of all this discussion of belief and the things that you believe framing your Reality - there is Baby-Boomer with her very poignant display of Free Will - that thing that so far has defined the difference between Humans and Cylons suddenly doesn't exist anymore. If Baby Boomer can love - if she has Free Will - then is there any sense of difference? How do we define difference between them now?

Starbuck has fangirl squee in the tomb with the icons. And I find that endearing. She's also the one (other than Baby-B) that can just quote scripture out of the sky. I really love that about her.

When Adama claps - it scares me a little.

GAH! I hope you guys liked these episodes. I am very partial to all the emotional reunions and BabyBoomer being a BAMF and the Tomb of Athena is possibly one of my favorite mythos-scenes!

Miss and love you all!!!!


Kelsey



 hope that it is alright to include my feedback for both of the "Home" episodes in one email. It sounded like you would be recording the episodes together, but I'll divide my thoughts into two sections in case I misunderstood.

Home Part 1

I enjoy a lot of things about this episode from Roslin's rebellion to Elosha blowing up (explosions are always cool.) Here are some of my thoughts:
  1. Mommy and Daddy are still fighting. This family is always more interesting when there is some internal conflict and this episode is no exception. I'm always struck by how Adama is concerned, not with the number of people who side with Roslin, but with the supplies that they have lost. He seems to be taking on a bit of Tigh's command style here, and it doesn't look as good on him as it does on Tigh (Yes I like Tigh, I have this weird thing for quirky old guys on TV. Walter Bishop, Christian Shepard, Colonal Tigh, I love them all, it's weird.) It's always admirable how both Roslin and Adama stick to their guns, even though they are both a little cracked.
  2. I love Dee. I love that Adama asks to talk to her, and I love that she points out that it's only because he thinks she has nothing to say. She is sort of like Zarek (weird comparison, but stay with me) in that she is highly perceptive and she's not wrong. She's a great voice for the audience, especially coming from Sagittaron - which is Courtney hasn't told you is the colony that was essentially taken advantage of by all the others. They are the lowest on the totem pole of colonies as it were, which I think makes Dee more in touch with what the average member of the fleet would feel and also what the audience is bound to feel (I don't think that's spoilery at all but if you need to cut it, Courtney, then please do.) Also Adama is building a ship! That is all.
  3. The short scene with Gaius and Head Six standing inthe doorway of the lab is really telling to me. Gaius is starting to feel less connected to the people of the fleet which, I think, is shown in the use of slow motion here. It's sort of a "he lives among us, but he is not one of us" moments (damn you LOST *shakes fist*)
  4. Have a mentioned that I love ALL THINGS KOBOL!? Because I do, and I just feel like reiterating this point. I am a mythology girl all the way and it doesn't get more mythological than Kobol, throw in references to Zeus, Athena, and Aries and my little geek heart is all aflutter.
  5. Elosha blows up and it's all very sad, but someone had to go right? Per the podcast commentary on the DVD they actually went back and forth between Elosha and Billy several times in this episode before they settled on blowing her up. Come to think of it, maybe it would have been better to have Billy get blown up ;)

Home Part 2

  1. Gaius and Head Six are awesome. I love that she convinces him he is crazy, and that he actually considers the craziness mostly because it gives us more Doc Cottle (quirky old men, remember :) ) I've also been waiting, along with everyone else listening I'm sure for this moment on confirmation that Gaius does not actually have a chip in his head. 
  2. Sharon is the best of all the people. I love that she points out that the cylons know more about human religion than they do. It's a really nice way of shining a light on the ignorance of the human race in this moment. The cylons have taken the time to learn about the humans and about their religious beliefs, where the humans, to our knowledge, have done know such thing. Instead they persecute, what can be seen as, another race, religion, orientation, country *coughcough* (pick your metaphor) without being fully educated on what it is exactly that they are fighting against. This is one of those moments where the show does an excellent job of being both of it's time and timeless.
  3. Zarek. I LOVE ZAREK MORE THAN MOST THINGS. I'm certain that this is weird, but I find him endlessly fascinating. He's sort of like a micro version of the cylon vs human metaphor. To some he's a terrorist, to some he's a freedom fighter. Just like the show in general, it all depends on your point of view. What I  enjoy most about him here is that he knows when to quit. He is smart enough to know that going through with any sort of assassination attempt at this moment is no longer a good idea, AND HE'S RIGHT. This is something that I think Kelsey pointed out some time ago, Zarek is seldom wrong it's only that no one is willing to listen to him. 
  4. Tyrol comes face to face with Sharon. Awkward town, population: Tyrol.
These are the thoughts I had as I watched this time. I'm looking forward to hearing why Melanie doesn't particularly care for the episode, because I'm so in love with mythology and Zarek that I'm sort of blind to all else ;)

Amberlee

No comments:

Post a Comment